background

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Creative Crew Color Focus

Hello Everyone! Can you believe it’s September already?  
I have some exciting news to share with you all.  I have been asked to be a member of the Creative Crew on Splitcoast Stampers.  I was so honored and thrilled to accept! For the next few months I will be posting projects that I make for those challenges.  Here is a link to the creative crew challenges.  Once you are on that page, just click on the month you would like to view.  These projects are for my September challenges. 


This challenge is a focus on color and/or designer series paper (Eastern Elegance designer papers or the colors crushed curry, coastal cabana, smoky slate and whisper white). We were to make a project using these colors for someone we admire, and tell why this person is significant to us.

 

This book is for my son, Ryan, who never got to know his Grandpa Beattie, as he died when Ryan was 16 months old. My Daddy was the most extraordinary man, and my son is so very much like his Grandpa. Daddy was unbelievably kind and patient and he did not have a temper. He was quiet and very easy-going. He got along with everyone, and had very strong moral compass. Daddy was scruptiously honest man who loved a good joke, and read constantly. In a business/sport where gambling is fairly commonplace, my Daddy rarely even bet on his own horses! Once he bet $50.00 on one to win, because the horse was so clearly faster than the others in the race. The horse won, Daddy was all smiles and Mom was sooo relieved, but reminded him to please not do that again! Daddy adored kids and was so good with them. I was always Daddy's girl growing up and he was most definitely my hero.
 
Here is a tutorial on how to create the photo book 

Materials:
1 sheet cardstock
sticky strip
6 medium clear envelopes
designer series paper 
stamps of your choice

To make the book as shown above, cut two pieces of Coastal Cabana cardstock 5” x 7 ¼” for the covers.
Score one piece at 1” from one edge as shown below. This will be the front cover.
Apply sticky strip along the edge of the back cover and place one clear envelope on top with the opening facing you.  Remove the protective strip from the adhesive and line up another envelope on top using the envelope's adhesive to stick it to the previous envelope. Continue in this same manner using all 6 envelopes. Now your book will hold 12 photos.

Place sticky strip on the edge of the front cover and remove the protective strip to adhere to the rest of the book.
Insert two photos in each envelope. My photos are old and a smaller size, so I simply mounted one photo on each side of a piece of smokey slate cardstock before inserting into the envelopes.
This is my Daddy with his best horse in the fall of 1983 shortly after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died 18 months later.
For the cover, I used Eastern Elegance Designer Series Paper cut to 4 ¾” x 6”