background

Monday, August 29, 2011

Colored Pencil Techniques

I love Prismacolor pencils.  I decided I needed to brush up on my technique, so I pulled books from the shelf, notes from files and began re-reading them. Being a former teacher, I of course took notes. This turned out to be a happy accident, as a friend of mine wanted some help with her new Prismacolors. Several years ago I found a color chart in order by numbers. I’ve used it just to keep track of what colors I had. A few days ago I came across a chart done in color families and I thought wow, what a great way to decide what colors to use on a project and what colors you want to put together.  In her book, Colored Pencil for the Serious Beginner, Bet Borgeson talks about how to actually USE the color wheel and has an illustration of the colors and how the progression of hue temperature changes from cool to warm... which is how you show more or less light.  Light bulb went on in my head! I really like this book, it’s written for regular people who are not experienced. 
My tips and techniques notes can be found HERE
My new color chart by color families:
chart page two
Great Article on Prismacolors 
Good Video