background

Friday, February 7, 2020

Northern Lights Technique

This really is a fun, easy technique. All you need is some ink pads Whisper White cardstock, a sponge wedge, and a white gel pen. Just so you know, I've never actually seen the northern lights. I just looked at pictures and used some imagination. In a lot of pictures I've seen the lights appear to be vertical swooshes in the sky.

The first one I made was done like this and I used Smoky Slate, Blackberry Bliss, and Night of Navy ink pads. You ink up your sponge and begin off the page, then move onto the paper. Use the lightest color first, then progress to the darkest color. I used a circle punch to make a mask from a piece of sticky note paper. I simply placed it on my paper before I began sponging on color. When finished and the mask is removed, you have a lovely bright moon. Stampin' Up! sponges come in a package of three for $4.00. I cut them each into 6 pie shaped wedges.


On the card below, I used Smoky Slate, Blackberry Bliss, Crushed Curry, and Night of Navy ink pads with Balmy Blue cardstock.

This card is my favorite! I used Pacific Point, Smoky Slate and Night of Navy inkpads with Rich Razzleberry cardstock. The mountains in the back are diecut from Basic Black cardstock, and those in the foreground were stamped in Versamark on Shimmery White cardstock and embossed in white. Then I used an Aqua Painter to add color.

Product List