background

Friday, August 21, 2020

Adapting Tools & Comforting Scriptures

 With Pinterest and blogs, we are bombarded with lots of inspiration when we get ready to make a greeting card. When you look at a pretty card and think, "oh but I don't have that die, or that embellishment" etc. don't give up, IMPROVISE. I've got an example to show you just what I mean. I saw Tammy Wilson's pretty card on Pinterest, improvised with what I had and voila, I very similar card, but still pretty. You can see Tammy's card here https://stampspaperscissors.com/2020/06/25/in-good-taste-technique-tutorial/

Can you spot the differences? First of all, you probably see the butterfly, which was not an intentional difference. Well, as happens to most of us at some time or another, I was finished with the card, and bam, I drug it across an open stamp pad and smeared ink on it:( So the flutterby was added to cover it up. lol! 

  • I didn't have the same die, but I did have the retired Darling Doily, which gave the same lacy feel.
  •  I also didn't have the leaf embellishment, so I made my own with what I DID have. I looked for all the leaf dies I had and one of the smallest was one in the Rooted in Nature Bundle. I cut it out of the woodgrain pattern from In Good Taste DSP. Then, I cut 4 more leaves from Sahara Sand cardstock and glued them together to make a fatter embellishment. Then to define the veins in the leaf, I used my Water Painter and some Crumb Cake ink. 
  • I also didn't have a Gray Granite Stampin' Blend, so used my Water Painter again with some Gray Granite ink and my pokey tool to splatter across the Shimmery White cardstock. It looked so pretty I also added some Rococo Rose ink splatters!
What about the Scriptures? The other photo shows the inside of my card. You can see a piece of scripture that I put on the inside cover of all of my cards. As a Demo, I sell most of my stamp sets when they retire, but any of them that contain scripture, I KEEP. I have Trust God, Rose Winder, and Hold on to Hope. I also bought a couple of stamp sets from Divinity Designs.