background

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Herringbone Technique

 Herringbone Technique

Positive Thoughts Stamp Set

Tasteful Touches and Daisy Lane Stamp Sets

You can use any Designer Series Paper that you like with this technique. I wanted a very simple abstract design, so I chose the Artistry Blooms DSP. I love the bright colors, and chose to create a card in cool colors and then one in warm colors.

For stamp sets, I selected collage style stamps that are small so that the herringbone pattern would still be the star of the show.

I used Adhesive Sheets to cover the cardstock before applying strips of DSP. You can also use Tear & Tape Adhesive, or other double-sided tape runner. The point is to cover the entire piece of cardstock with adhesive, not glue.

I like strips of paper that are 1/4 inch wide, but this technique can be done with all sizes of strips, and even varying the strip sizes on the same project. Since a card is a small platform, I chose to use a smaller size strip.

You can draw the three lines on your cardstock, but I just place DSP strips directly on cardstock. Begin by placing three strips of cardstock as show below. Then make ‘V’ shapes of two strips that match as you fill in the quadrants.

For the first layer, I used the largest Stitched Rectangle die, which is roughly 5-1/8 x 3-3/4 inches. After adhering the strips to make the herringbone pattern, I used the third from the largest die, which measures roughly 3 x 4-3/8 inches. I love the nice finished edges these dies provide, but you can certainly cut with your paper trim and have plain edges.

Remember in the video how I showed the outside edges of the pattern after I cut it out with the stitched rectangle dies? I had so much fun playing around with those cool looking pieces!

First, I cut the 'frame of leftovers" in half.

On this one, I used that half, then a straight piece to fill in along the bottom. This created a frame. Tasteful Touches Stamp Set

On this card, I used the "leftover frame" AND the finished herringbone piece. I used the diecuts from the Beautiful World bundle.


Product List