background

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Experimenting With Shading Colors

I’ve been experimenting with shading colors. I used a Magenta flower with a base layer of pink 928. The highlight colors were deco pink 1014 and pink rose 1018.
For the shading I was using the color wheel and experimented with three different colors on the same flower to see which I liked best.  I was loosely thinking of an analogous complementary scheme:
  • Select red violet (magenta) then count two more colors over to the right - violet and blue violet. Now choose a complement by putting your finger on magenta and following the line directly across the wheel to yellow green.

Which do you like best?  I'm thinking the dahlia purple... maybe the crimson red. I think the violet blue, a cool color, is not so good.
I decided to make the experiment into a Valentines Day card for a sister-in-law. I think with the purple background poking out on the right, it somehow makes that part of the flower okay to have purple shading. It fits.