background

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Alcohol Ink on Vellum

Tina Zinck and Angela Meyer inspired me to try using alcohol and Stampin' Blends on vellum again. Their results were stunning! When I last tried this technique, I followed the advice from a UK Demo and used a water brush to blend the alcohol inks from Stampin' Blends. They just didn't blend much. Tina used a paint brush to apply alcohol and I noticed in her video, she was quite generous in her application. I thought that must be the difference. The water brush only allowed a bit of alcohol and it was diluted of course. I tried it again and I LOVED it:) 

I also liked Tina's idea of mounting the completed vellum piece on white cardstock, and then dry embossing with the Painted Texture embossing folder. Those crinkles and hills and valleys in the paper provide the perfect texture and serve as a guide for placement of gilded leafing.

Then I took a wrong turn. Instead of simply brushing a VersaMark pad lightly over the top of the paper (hitting those hills) or applying Multipurpose Liquid glue, I used a paintbrush to apply thick splotches of VersaMark refill ink to the  'hills' with a paint brush. I thought I was being soooo clever! lol I couldn't have been more WRONG!  As I applied Heat and Stick Powder to the VersaMark splotches, it still looked wet. Even after using the heat tool and applying the gilded leafing, it was still sticky and wet. I added more leafing, heated to dry and still had a mess. 

I finally just did what Angela suggested in the first place and applied Multipurpose glue, allowed it to dry to a tacky state, then placed it upside down in my leafing container. I rubbed off the access and had nothing wet or sticky left. whew! So take a lesson from me, and don't brush on globs of VersaMark refill ink! A little goes a long way. Our Multipurpose Liquid Glue works fine as well.

Tina Zinck, the one with the video, is from Canada. She taught me a good deal about uploading videos to YouTube without high speed internet. It worked for a while, and now it just doesn't. Hopefully this fall, when Elon Musk is done launching all those satellites, we will have high speed internet!! (We signed up when he first announced). You'll love Tina's video!  https://youtu.be/C1lmxWJvxSg




Note on Supplies listed below: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I used some Rich Razzleberry Stampin' Blends too.

Product List